What a weird thing somebody did to this Les Paul!
Les Paul With Too Many Output Jacks
Here’s an odd case: somebody’s relocated the output jack on this Les Paul added a second output jack plate to this Les Paul. What were they thinking?
This guitar came in for a nasty broken peghead repair. That repair required gluing and finish touchups, so while all the supplies were out we decided to “disappear” this unnecessary jack.
I removed the extra plate and used a Forstner bit to open up the hole.
I cut a tapered plug and glued it into place with cynoacrolate glue. A light tap with a hammer secured it in place.
I plugged the screw holes the same way
I cut off the excess plugs and used some 180-grit sandpaper on a paint stirring stick to sand the plug flush.
I started the touchup by spraying black over the repaired area. Then I pulled the tape off and scraped the bindings clean. That was followed with four coats of clear lacquer to seal the black in and airbrush a golden tint to match the aged look on the body. The final topcoat was eight coats of clear lacquer.
After a one-week curing period, I wet-sanded with 1000 grit paper and buffed it to a high gloss.
After cleaning and polishing the finish, the hardware goes back on and the guitar is set up. This repair is complete and it looks great. The binding looks so good I couldn’t even tell it was repaired!